Monday, September 19, 2011

The River Whispers



You sang your siren song 
tumbled over the ringing rocks
"come in and play", you whispered
your gentle laughter 
dancing under green leaves

But I am tender, old,  in my decline
I have no use for silly water slides
"come in and play", you whispered
splashing gaily at the butterflies

Then I desired you
young buck in love, 
hard and ready, 
ramming for desire,
 ideal man of action, 
"jump in and play" I shouted, overcome
invincible,  the bold power of youth
in my present condition.

The raft was too tiny and small, 
the water too fast
to chance it at all. I relapsed,
floating bean in the shallow end
"come in and play", you danced, your
sunlight prisms trapping the water ripples

A larger boat might suffice
I shall try again, said my youth returning that night
pushed my blow-up kayak into her moat
"Here to play now!"  said the young man goat

She tore at me, razor water flowing down
tossed me over,  a foolish clowning drowned
"come out and play", her words assaulted my ears
violent water whips pulling me beneath her

One more breath,  I shall die from
Rocks of giants, hidden under the river ride
knees and arms flail, racing to escape her wicked course
"come in and play" she taunts me, 
as I lay battered on her stony shore.

Nevermore and never mind, Id rather walk a desert mile,
tame the mountain spine, or perhaps, 
take a lovely summer drive
In that respect, I'd even find wings to fly.

"Come and play with me"  whispered a grinning sky.


Written by Rick Fisher  2nd Revision  Copyright 9/19/11 
The 1st draft can be found here

Post a Comment

Diffle County Commissioners and the Water Thieving Scoundrel

Diffle County is rich with water. This life force bubbles out of the ground in our rare and beautiful sand springs which in turn fills our...